Belgium News Headlines in English
Belgium tightens travel restrictions for extra regions in Spain - The Brussels TimesWed, 12 Aug 2020 16:06:48 UTC
100 km/h winds expected in Belgium once heatwave ends - The Brussels TimesWed, 12 Aug 2020 14:58:03 UTC
Belgium Digital Gift Card (e-Gift Card) Market Review 2015-2019 and Forecast 2020-2024 - Projected Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business WireWed, 12 Aug 2020 14:45:00 UTC
Israel reprimands Belgium for working to 'mitigate pro-Israel voices' - Israel HayomWed, 12 Aug 2020 13:39:10 UTC
Orange Belgium taps Zappware to deliver Eleven football channels to subscribers - Digital TV EuropeWed, 12 Aug 2020 11:47:51 UTC
How the first king of Belgium became a Russian general at 12 - Russia BeyondWed, 12 Aug 2020 10:52:02 UTC
Belgium beach brawl lays bare country's political dysfunction - CP24 Toronto's Breaking NewsWed, 12 Aug 2020 10:40:00 UTC
Walloon home engulfed in flames after lighting bolt strike - The Brussels TimesWed, 12 Aug 2020 10:31:53 UTC
Netherlands and Belgium split over tackling virus hotspots - Financial TimesWed, 12 Aug 2020 9:14:07 UTC
Paediatricians urge Belgium to fully reopen schools from September - The Brussels TimesWed, 12 Aug 2020 9:04:38 UTC
Belgium passes average of 600 new coronavirus cases per day - The Brussels TimesWed, 12 Aug 2020 8:58:36 UTC
Belgium will pump €50 million into doubling Covid-19 testing capacity - The Brussels TimesWed, 12 Aug 2020 7:39:29 UTC
Things to know about Belgium
The Kingdom of Belgium is located in Western Europe and it is sharing borders with Germany, Netherlands, Luxemburg and France. The land area covered by Belgium is 30,689 kilometer square and has population around 11.5 million or more. The capital city is Brussels having the population around 1 million approximately. Belgium is 6th most densely populated in Europe and 22nd in the world. Some of the major cities are Liege, Ghent, Charleroi and Antwerp.
Belgium is sovereign state with parliamentary system and also a federal constitutional monarchy. Belgium’s institutional organization is divided into three autonomous regions, Wallonia, Flemish region and Brussels capital region. Brussels region is the richest in GDP per capita and most densely populated region. Belgium has two major linguistic communities, Flemish community Dutch speaking and French speaking community. 60% of the population is Dutch speaking while the remaining 40% are all Belgians, there is one more community of German speaking which is just 1% in Belgium.
The word Belgium is derived from Latin language firstly used in “Gallic War” to recognize this region I 55 BCE. Belgium was center of commerce and culture till 17th century from the “Middle Ages”. In between 16th and 17th centuries Belgium also served as the “Battlefield of Europe” for many European Powers and it was strengthened in World War I, II both.
Revolution and Independence
In the year of 1830 revolution erupted in Brussels. William I the king of Netherlands sent his troops towards protestant but they were out on 27th of September of the same year. Rebels received support from outside of the city and keep following their way to separate Belgium from Netherlands.
On 4th of October provisional government declared independence in the year of 1830. Leopold I of Saxe-Coburg became the first king of Belgium and his kingdom was continued from 1831 to 1865. After him his son was settled on kingdom called Leopold II till 1909.
Belgium’s economy is considered as highly productive work force and has highly exports and GNP. Main imports of Belgium are machinery and equipment, chemicals, raw material, raw diamonds, food goods, pharmaceuticals, oil products and transportation equipment. Belgium’s main exports are chemicals, metals and metal products, food stuff, machinery and equipment and finished diamonds. Belgium is also supportive hand of Open economy and member of EU institution since 1922.
Education system in Belgium in divided into 4 parts and it starts from the age of 2 to 6 primary, 6 ot12 secondary, 12 to 18 higher secondary and then onwards for 4 years of both universities and non-universities for 4 years to get awarded a bachelor’s degree.