Latest Myanmar News Headlines in English
Thing to know about Myanmar (မြန်မာ)
The Republic of the Union of Myanmar is located in Southeast Asia, bordered in the west by Bangladesh and India, with China in the northeast, with Thailand in the east and southeast and with Laos in the east. In the south, Myanmar has a sea coast (Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea).
State of Myanmar The country is quite ancient. The first kingdom arose here even before the middle Ages. The population is traditionally mixed, there are many nationalities and traditions, especially as the country knew both the invasion from the territory of China (as, in fact, the Burmese appeared here) and the Mongol conquests.
For a long time, it was a colony of Britain, and gained independence in 1948. You cannot call her fate easy. Burma knew both the military dictatorship and ethnic and religious conflicts. The name was changed to "Myanmar" in 1989. The root of this word is akin to the meaning of the term “emerald” (and they are mined here), as well as “strong”, “fast”.
“Burma” is the name given by the colonialists, and the locals perceived it with coolness. The current name is chosen taking into account local traditions, as well as a variety of astrological predictions.
Now it is a federal state of Myanmar, but at the same time, separate entities are prohibited from secession from its structure. According to the form of government, it is a parliamentary-presidential republic.
Geographically, the country is divided into seven administrative districts (Yangon, Mandalay, Yeyavadi, Bago, Magwe, Sagaing, Tananthayi or Tenaserim) and seven national districts (Mon, Shan, Kayin or Karen, Rakhine or Arakan, Chin, Kachin and Kaya). In turn, the districts have their own areas.
Some geographical information
• Central Myanmar is predominantly flat. And in the north, west and east - the mountains.
• The capital of Myanmar - Naypyidaw - is located in the center of the country.
• The largest city in the country, Yangon, the former capital, has a good position with access to the Martan Bay.
• The main waterway is the Irrawaddy River. On it are all the major cities: Mandalay, Pagan, Magwe, Pi.
• The long coastline in southern Myanmar is nearly 2,000 kilometers long along the Bay of Bengal. Here are the most popular beach resorts; the most famous of them is Ngapali.
• But the coolest place for a beach holiday, both in Myanmar itself and in neighboring Thailand, is located in the extreme south, on the Malay Peninsula, washed by the Andaman Sea. It is there that the famous Thai Phuket , the islands of Phi Phi and Krabi are located .
Top Newspapers from Myanmar (Burma)
- Myanmar Times
- 7Day Daily
- The Voice Myanmar
- Myanmar Gazette
- Burma Today
- Myanmar Business Today
- The Mirror
- Burma News International
- Eleven Myanmar
- Frontier Myanmar
- Myanmar Alin
- Hornbill News Agency
- Mizzima News
- Myanmar Radio and Television
- Myanmar Market Journal